By Riyaz ul Khaliq
ANKARA (AA) – The Chinese state media on Thursday said the first part of the U.S.-China trade deal should be “cherished” by both sides.
In its editorial, Global Times, a local daily, however, said the trade agreement will never be a zero-sum game.
“This full-fledged trade war waged by the US had at times made the two sides ‘see red’,” the Chinese daily wrote. “But it was stopped by the phase one agreement before causing any deadly consequences for either side. This shows that both China and the US are clear-minded,” it added.
The U.S. and China signed "phase one" trade deal Wednesday that marks a major milestone in more than two-year trade war between the world's top two economies.
The agreement was signed by U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese Vice Premier Liu He during a White House ceremony attended by droves of government officials and business leaders.
The Global Times admitted that the two sides “definitely have some regrets about the phase one agreement and are not so satisfied”.
However, Trump called the initial pact a "momentous step, one that has never been taken before with China" during marathon remarks in the East Room.
An analysis piece for the the Global Times, however, referred to upcoming U.S. presidential elections as a trigger behind Trump’s insistence on a trade deal.
“With the presidential election kicking off this year, US President Donald Trump wants a deal that wins him more votes in agricultural, energy, industry and services-sector states,” the analysis said.
Calling for adherence to World Trade Organization (WTO) rules, it cautioned that the implementation of the phase one trade agreement should not be just one-way.
“If China agrees to specific purchases including semiconductor in the phase one trade deal, it will involve companies like Huawei – whether the U.S. allows suppliers to sell devices to Huawei? If the US does not, how could the specific purchases be reached?” it questioned.
In May last year, the U.S. Department of Commerce announced that Chinese telecom giant Huawei is added to its "entity list" which effectively banned the U.S. companies from doing business with the company without approval.
Debating “about who had lost or gained is shallow,” the editorial said, adding: “Such debates are often exaggerated for certain political goals.”
“The future is unpredictable, but it is clear that the Chinese and the US markets, and the global market all welcome the phase one trade agreement. This is more real than political voices and public opinion, because real trade speaks for itself,” the daily wrote.
Turkey marks 567th anniversary of Istanbul’s conquest
By Handan Kazanci
ANKARA (AA) - Anadolu Agency is here with a rundown of the latest developments on the coronavirus pandemic and other news in Turkey and around the world.
- Coronavirus in Turkey
Turkey on Thursday confirmed 926 additional recoveries as the country began easing measures against the novel coronavirus, according to the country’s health minister.
The total number of recoveries from the disease hit 131,778 as 926 more patients were discharged from hospitals over the past day, Fahrettin Koca said on Twitter, citing Health Ministry data.
The country's death toll from the outbreak rose to 4,630 as Turkey reported 21 new fatalities over the last 24 hours.
Turkey conducted over 54,000 COVID-19 tests in the past 24 hours, bringing the total tally to more than 2.2 million, said Koca.
Meanwhile, Turkey plans to resume international flights to 40 countries gradually as of June 10, Transport and Infrastructure Minister Adil Karaismailoglu said Thursday.
International flights from Turkey will carry passengers first to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Qatar and Greece, Karaismailoglu said in a statement.
Turkey suspended all international flights on March 28 amid COVID-19-related travel restrictions worldwide.
- Global coronavirus developments
A low death toll was once again recorded Thursday as France recovers from the coronavirus pandemic which plagued the country over the last three months, according to the latest statistics reported by the Health Ministry.
The country registered a total of 46 deaths in hospitals Thursday, a drop of 39 cases over those reported Wednesday.
Italy on Thursday reported 88 more fatalities from the pandemic, bringing the death toll to 33,689 as authorities unveiled new guidelines to prevent crowded summer spots like beach resorts from becoming new virus hotbeds.
The slowing trend in the number of deaths registered in May continued in early June, confirming that the peak of the crisis has been passed.
Face masks on English public transport will be mandatory from June 15, the British government announced Thursday, as a further 176 people died from the coronavirus over the past 24 hours.
British authorities announced that the UK-wide death toll from COVID-19 is now 39,904.
As Spain prepares for its state of emergency over COVID-19 to last until June 21, the Health Ministry reported Thursday that 195 more people were infected with the coronavirus and five more had died.
The number of infections diagnosed Wednesday was down slightly from the 219 people who tested positive Tuesday but up from Monday and Sunday. In total, 240,660 infections have been confirmed in the country.
Health officials in the Palestinian enclave of Gaza announced Thursday the arrival of medical supplies sent by Turkey to help fight the novel coronavirus outbreak.
In a statement, Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra confirmed that two polymerase chain reaction (PCR) machines had been delivered for detecting the virus.
- George Floyd Memorial service
Hundreds of mourners on Thursday attended the first of several memorials for George Floyd – an unarmed black man who was killed in police custody on May 25.
The service at North Central University in Minneapolis, Minnesota was attended by Floyd's family and Ben Crump, the civil rights attorney representing the family, as well as celebrity guests.
Meanwhile, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Thursday urged demonstrators joining protests over the death of George Floyd to get tested for the novel coronavirus.
Speaking at his daily press briefing, Cuomo said around 30,000 people have taken part in the statewide protests demanding justice for the killing of the unarmed black man in police custody.
Of them, 20,000 were involved in rallies in New York City.
In Europe, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged citizens not to overlook the racism problem in Germany while intensely discussing racism and police brutality in the US after the death of George Floyd.
"This murder of George Floyd is very, very terrible. Racism is something terrible,” Merkel said Thursday evening in an exclusive interview with public broadcaster ZDF.
“Racism has always been present, but sadly we also have this [problem]. We should first sweep in front of our own door,” she stressed.
- Other developments
Turkey and Libya plan to advance cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean, including exploration and drilling activities, to further benefit from natural resources, Turkey’s president said in a meeting with Libya’s prime minister Thursday.
The meeting between Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Fayez al-Sarraj took place at the presidential palace in the Turkish capital Ankara.
Erdogan said Turkey and Libya have reached a consensus on expanding their cooperation areas on the territory of Libya.