Libya: 1 civilian killed in Haftar militia's attack

– Civilian killed in rocket attack east of Tripoli while watering trees on farm, says official statement

By Leila Thabti and Hamdi Yıldız

TRIPOLI (AA) – One civilian was killed in Libya as a result of a rocket attack in the east of the capital Tripoli by militia forces loyal to warlord Khalifa Haftar.

A 50-year-old civilian was reportedly killed when a rocked fell on a farm, the media office of the Burkan Al-Ghadab (Volcano of Rage) Operation by Libya’s UN-recognized government said.

It was said that the civilian was exposed to a rocket attack while watering trees.

Hafter-affiliated militias increased rocket attacks on Tripoli earlier this week.

As a result of attacks Wednesday and Thursday on civilian areas, two people were killed and 12 injured. The rockets that fell south of Tripoli University caused five injuries.

The UN Security Council adopted a resolution Wednesday mandating a multinational operation to oversee a lasting cease-fire in Libya.

The resolution calls for an immediate cease-fire, an end to the supply of arms to both sides, adherence to a weapons embargo and the withdrawal of mercenaries and it forbids interference by any member states in the crisis in Libya.

Fourteen countries support the decision, but Russia abstained due to clause on the withdrawal of mercenaries.

The decision also calls on all countries and international actors that attended a Jan. 19 Berlin conference on Libya to fulfill commitments.

Since the ouster of late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, two seats of power have emerged in Libya: one in east, supported mainly by Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and another in Tripoli, which enjoys UN and international recognition.

* Writing by Jeyhun Aliyev from Ankara

By SM Najmus Sakib

DHAKA, Bangladesh (AA) – Bangladesh Jammat-e-Islami senior leader Abdus Subhan, who was convicted on war criminal charges and has been in jail since 2012, died in a hospital Friday.

The former lawmaker was taken to Dhaka Medical Hospital (DMCH) from the country’s central jail Jan. 24.

“The Jamaat-e-Islami leader was undergoing treatment at the hospital with old age complications and died today. His body is kept at the morgue for autopsy and the process is underway to hand over the dead body to his family,” DMCH Police Outpost in-charge Inspector Bachchu Mia told Anadolu Agency.

The party and its student wing expressed sorry in a news release that said Nayeb-e-Ameer of Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami and former five-time lawmaker died deprived of proper treatment in jail and cases brought against him were politically motivated, made as per the “government will.”

The country’s law enforcement agency arrested the Jamaat leader Sept. 20 said he was arrested on war crimes charges and has since held him in jail.

The local International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) gave Subhan the death penalty in February 2015 for his alleged involvement in crimes against humanity during the country’s liberation war with Pakistan in 1971.

The ICT is accused of being used against political opponents under the pretext of punishing war criminals.

Following the formation of the court, international human rights group, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, voiced deep concern for the “unfair trial” process.