Per. Ara 12th, 2019

Protesters in Malta call on PM to immediately step down

– Thousands gather in front of Prime Ministry, parliament demanding justice for killing of investigative journalist in 2017

By Baris Seckin

ROME (AA) – Thousands of protesters converged on Malta’s capital, Valletta, on Monday demanding that the prime minister immediately resign.

Prime Minister Joseph Muscat announced Sunday that he would step down in January amid growing public anger over the assassination of an investigative journalist in 2017.

Protestors had called on Muscat to step down to ensure justice for Daphne Caruana Galizia, who was killed on Oct. 16, 2017 in a car bombing close to her home. Galizia had been investigating corruption among Malta’s business and political elite before her death.

The protesters gathered in front of the Prime Ministry and parliament building and reportedly threw eggs and carrots at ministers and members of parliament who entered or exited the buildings.

Galizia’s three sons asked that Muscat be investigated in relation to their mother’s murder.

Galizia’s murder triggered outrage in Malta, and angry protesters repeatedly took to the streets last week demanding that Muscat immediately resign for failing to clean up politics in the country.

On Nov. 23, businessman Yorgen Fenech, who allegedly had links to government officials, was charged with complicity in Galizia’s murder.

*Writing by Sena Guler

UPDATES WITH MORE DETAILS

By Faruk Zorlu and Havva Kara Aydin

ANKARA (AA) – The Turkish and Russian presidents will speak about Syria on the phone Wednesday night, said Turkey's presidential spokesperson.

Speaking to reporters following a Cabinet meeting at the presidential complex, Ibrahim Kalin said Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin will have a phone conversation about the situation in Syria.

Erdogan is also expected to co-chair the Global Refugee Forum in Geneva next week, Kalin said.

The first Global Refugee Forum, set for Dec. 17-18, will focus on such topics as burden- and responsibility-sharing, education, jobs, livelihoods, energy and infrastructure, solutions, and protection capacity.

On the possible return of Syrian refugees to a safe zone, he said it will be based on three main UN criteria, to ensure a "safe, voluntary, honorable return."

Turkish, German, French, and British leaders agreed last week to help Syrian refugees voluntarily return to their homeland, also saying that humanitarian access — including across the border — must be ensured in Syria.

Turkey launched Operation Peace Spring on Oct. 9 to eliminate YPG/PKK terrorists from northern Syria east of the Euphrates River in order to secure Turkey’s borders, aid in the safe return of Syrian refugees, and ensure Syria’s territorial integrity.

Ankara wants YPG/PKK terrorists to withdraw from the region so a safe zone can be created to pave the way for the safe return of some 2 million refugees.

In its more than 30-year terror campaign against Turkey, the PKK — listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU — has been responsible for the deaths of nearly 40,000 people, including women, children and infants. The terrorist YPG is the PKK’s Syrian offshoot.

– 'F-35 program became US domestic issue'

The dispute between Turkey and the U.S. over F-35 fighter jets is no longer a technical or defense industry matter but a domestic U.S. political issue, said Kalin.

U.S. lawmakers announced on Tuesday that they are considering purchasing for the U.S. Air Force F-35s that are supposed to be Turkey’s under the fighter jet program.

This July, Turkey's acquisition of Russian S-400 defense systems prompted the Trump administration to suspend Turkey from the F-35 program. The U.S. claims the system would be a security risk and is incompatible with NATO systems.

Turkey, however, counters that the S-400 would not be integrated into NATO systems and would not pose a threat to the alliance.

Turkish officials have also proposed setting up a commission to study the issue, but has yet to get a positive response from the U.S.

– 'No request from Libya on troops'

Asked about possible Turkish military support to Libya — an issue that came up during an interview with the president this Monday — Kalin said: "There is currently no request from Libya asking for Turkish troops."

In a televised interview with Erdogan, asked what would happen if Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA) were to request military assistance, the president said: "In case of such an invitation, Turkey will decide itself about what kind of initiative to undertake."

Since 2011, when longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi was ousted and killed, Libya has seen the emergence of two rival seats of power: One in eastern Libya, to which military commander Khalifa Haftar is affiliated, and the Government of National Accord, which enjoys UN recognition.