FBI

FBI: No hate crime committed in NASCAR noose case

By Servet Gunerigok

WASHINGTON (AA) – The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said Tuesday that no hate crime was committed after a noose was found over the weekend in NASCAR driver Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr.’s garage at the Talladega Superspeedway in Alabama.

In a statement, US Attorney Jay Town and FBI special agent Charles Johnnie Sharp, Jr. said an investigation "revealed evidence, including authentic video confirmed by NASCAR, that the noose found in garage number 4 was in that garage as early as October 2019."

The garage was assigned last week to Wallace, the sport’s only black driver in the Cup Series.

"Although the noose is now known to have been in garage number 4 in 2019, nobody could have known Mr. Wallace would be assigned to garage number 4 last week," said the statement.

NASCAR, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, said it found the noose in the garage during Sunday’s Geico 500 at the Talladega Superspeedway.

It said an "immediate" investigation had been launched and the world's largest governing body for stock car racing vowed to "identify the person(s) responsible and eliminate them from the sport."

In a statement, NASCAR said Wallace was not the victim of a hate crime.

“This was obviously well before the 43 team's arrival and garage assignment. We appreciate the FBI's quick and thorough investigation and are thankful to learn that this was not an intentional, racist act against Bubba. We remain steadfast in our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all who love racing," it said.

On June 11, NASCAR banned the display of the Confederate flag from all of its events and properties after Wallace called for Confederate flags to be removed from NASCAR races.

UPDATE – US base shooter had 'significant ties' to al-Qaeda

ADDS DETAILS THROUGHOUT

By Michael Hernandez

WASHINGTON (AA) – The Saudi military officer who fatally shot three US sailors and seriously injured eight other individuals on a naval base in Florida had "significant ties" to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), top law enforcement officials announced Monday.

FBI Director Christopher Wray said information obtained from Royal Saudi Air Force officer Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani's cellphones indicates he was radicalized at least as far back as 2015.

"The Pensacola attack was actually the brutal culmination of years of planning and preparation by a longtime AQAP associate," Wray told reporters during a virtual press briefing, further saying Alshamrani had been "connecting and associating with a number of dangerous AQAP operatives" since 2015.

Alshamrani attempted to destroy both of his phones during a shootout that ultimately led to his death, Wray said, but the bureau was able to obtain information off them following a four month effort to unlock the devices. That information was then used to carry out an operation against one of his associates.

Wray and Attorney General William Barr said the operation targeted "overseas AQAP operative" Abdullah al-Maliki, but gave sparse details other than saying it took place recently in Yemen.

Asked what kind of relationship Alshamrani had with the US-designated terrorist organization, Wray said he was "certainly more than just inspired," and was "sharing plans and tactics with them."

The Dec. 6 shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola ended when Alshamrani was fatally shot by sheriff's deputies. The US moved in January to cancel training for 21 Saudi Arabian air cadets and sent them back to their home country as the investigation into the shooting continued.

The US determined that nearly all of the 21 trainees had “jihadi or anti-American content” in their social media feeds, while 15 of them “had had some kind of contact with child pornography”, mostly “cases posted in a chat room by someone else or received over social media," Barr said at the time.

Alshamrani's phones had been locked, but Wray and Barr said the FBI was able to break the encryption independently of Apple, who they said refused to cooperate with their efforts.

Bilgisayar korsanları FBI personel kayıtlarını ele geçirdi

ANKARA (AA) – ABD Federal Soruşturma Bürosunda (FBI) görevli yaklaşık 4 bin federal ajan ve emniyet görevlisine ait personel kayıtlarının bilgisayar korsanları tarafından çalındığı bildirildi.

Techcrunch internet sitesinde yer alan habere göre, bilgisayar korsanları, FBI Ulusal Akademisi Derneği’ne ait internet sitelerine sızarak, federal ajan ve emniyet görevlilerine ait, hizmete özel kullanım için tutulan personel kayıtlarını çaldı.

Kayıtlarda görevlilerin isimleri, unvanları, adresleri, telefon numaraları ve eposta adreslerinin yer aldığı belirtildi.

Korsanlar 4 bine yakın kişinin kişisel bilgilerinin yer aldığı kayıtları, Ukrayna’dan yayın yapan bir internet sitesinde yayımladı.

İnternet sitesine açıklama yapan korsanlardan biri, FBI dışında, ABD hükümetiyle ilişikili binden fazla web sitesine sızarak 1 milyondan fazla kamu görevlisinin bilgilerini kişisel bilgilerini ele geçirdiklerini iddia etti. Bilgisayar korsanı, bu bilgileri “karanlık web” adı verilen, özel tarayıcılarla ulaşılan gizli çevrimiçi portallar üzerinden anonim alıcılara satmayı planladıklarını söyledi.

Muhabir: Emre Aytekin

FBI, Trump'ın avukatının ofisini bastı

WASHINGTON (AA) – ABD Başkanı Donald Trump’ın kişisel avukatı Michael Cohen’in New York’taki ofisine ABD Federal Soruşturma Bürosu (FBI) tarafından yapılan baskında çok sayıda dokümana el konulduğu bildirildi.

Amerikan medyasındaki haberlere göre Cohen’in ofisine gelen FBI yetkilileri, ellerindeki arama belgesini göstererek ofisin her yerinde arama yaptı.

Ofisteki çok sayıda basılı ve online dokümana el koyan FBI’ın, Trump’ın ilişki yaşadığı iddia edilen Stormy Daniels adlı bir kadına Cohen’in yaptığı belirtilen ödemeyle ilgili yazışmaları da götürdüğü kaydedildi.

Arama öncesinde polisin, Rusya soruşturmasını yürüten Özel Yetkili Savcı Robert Mueller’den da tavsiye mektubu aldığı, ancak aramanın Rusya soruşturmasıyla doğrudan ilgili olmadığı belirtildi.

Söz konusu belgeler arasında Trump ile Cohen arasında yapıldığı ifade edilen birçok dokümanın da yer aldığına dikkat çekilirken, Cohen’in avukatı Stephen Ryan, ofiste yapılan araştırmanın “tamamen uygunsuz ve gereksiz” olduğunu savundu. Ryan, müvekkili Cohen’in Rusya soruşturması bağlamında halihazırda Özel Yetkili Savcı Mueller’in ofisiyle iş birliği yaptığını ve şu ana kadar çok sayıda belgeyi zaten ilettiğini dile getirdi.

Amerikan kamuoyunda daha önce Cohen’in adı, Trump’ın ilişki yaşadığı iddia edilen Daniels’e “susması karşılığında” 130 bin dolar ödeme yaptığı açıklamasıyla gündeme gelmişti. Konuyla ilgili bugüne kadar konuşmamayı tercih eden Trump, geçen hafta sonu söz konusu ödemeyle ilgili “bilgisinin olmadığını” ifade etmişti.